DIRECTOR OF NURSING-LTCC
Company: West Park Hospital-WY-US
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Cody Regional Health -- LONG TERM CARE CENTER Cody , WY
Administration Full Time (72-80 ppp) , Days , 8-5 Posted 02/17/2021
JOB TITLE : Director of Nursing DEPARTMENT: Long Term Care Center
REPORTS TO: Administrator of LTCC JOB SUMMARY To lead and manage
LTC clinical and administrative operations and department human
resources, financial resources and LTC mission and goals. To
supervise, coordinate, and direct the activities of the Long Term
care Unit in the performance of consistently high-quality patient
care. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills
necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients
served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate
knowledge of the aging process, possess the ability to assess the
patient's age-specific needs, and provide the care needed as
described in the LTCC's policies and procedures. JOB REQUIREMENTS
Current Wyoming licensure as a Registered Professional nurse.
Prefer Bachelor of Science in nursing with additional education in
geriatrics/gerontology. EXPERIENCE Minimum of two years supervision
or management experience and at least five years clinical
experience. Previous experience in administration, rehabilitation
nursing, psychiatric or geriatric nursing required. SKILLS Interest
and understanding of the special needs of the older adult.
Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, and
interpersonal skills are necessary. Excellent clinical and teaching
skills required. REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS BLS ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
DEPARTMENT OPERATIONS - ADMINISTRATIVE AND CLINICAL DIRECTION To
develop/implement/enhance systems for optimal patient
care/department operations based on up-to-date knowledge of
customers, suppliers, current standards of clinical
practice/service or production, and regulatory requirements.
Department operations are integrated with LTCs primary functions
through coordination with other departments and services.
- Participates with Administrator in termination conference of
nursing staff as necessary.
- Staffing, assigning, supervising and evaluating the performance
of all levels of nursing personnel.
- Interviews and recommends hiring of nursing staff.
- Initiates disciplinary measures with nursing staff as
- Coordinates the resident care planning process to ensure that a
care plan is established and reviewed for each resident on a timely
- Develops and/or coordinates development of resident care
policies and procedures.
- Acts as a clinical resource to the nursing staff and provides
education and assistance regarding new and unfamiliar
- Coordinates activities of the nursing units with other patient
care services such as physicians, physical and respiratory therapy,
- Assures quality resident care by means of chart audits, patient
visits, analysis of incident reports and medication errors, care
conferences, staff meeting, etc.
- Ensures nursing care is delivered in a safe effective manner in
compliance with state, and federal requirements.
- Coordinates with the hospital case manager transfer of patients
from the hospital to the LTCC.
- Support organization's systems and processes and participate in
design and improvement activities.
- P&P development/revision/update that guides and supports
patient care and/or department operations.
- Maintain appropriate quality control programs.
- Evaluate and select outside sources for needed services.
- Maintain effective working relationship with Administrator
- Continually assess and improve department performance.
- Compliance with State and Federal requirements. HUMAN RESOURCE
- To organize and provide for qualified/competent/cost effective
staffing of department services using mechanisms for mix, ratios,
productivity, standards, schedule, work design, and personnel
- Establish/revise competency standards and program.
- Establish/communicate/revise performance STDs, job descriptions
- Participate in productivity monitoring system.
- Provide appropriate staff mix, ratios, work redesign.
- Assume oversight responsibility for staffing of the
- Approve vacations, overtime, excused absences, personal days
and PTO/EIB use. Assist in payroll information regarding new
employees, change in employee rate or positions, and hours
- To manage the individual performance cycle including hiring,
orientation, coaching, mentoring, training/education/in-service,
performance evaluation, competency assessment, and disciplinary
action using effective communication skills, tools, methods, and
appropriate documentation systems.
- Interview, hire, supervise, orient, and coach staff in
- Mentor, develop, train, and oversee orientation and
preceptorships and in-service staff.
- Evaluate performance (manage performance cycle).
- Evaluate the employee performance at intervals specified in the
personnel policy, or as necessary. Determine employee's
professional goals and recommend ways to attain them; discuss
evaluation with employee.
- Provide timely and effective disciplinary actions.
- Take action in situations requiring disciplinary action.
- Issue verbal and written warning in accordance with the
personnel policy, settle disputes, send an employee home (if
necessary) pending joint evaluation with the LTC
- Make recommendation as to further employment of staff; may
terminate an employee (if warranted) after review with HR and
- To manage/lead the group/team performance by establishing a
positive work environment through application of the principles of
shared governance, CQI, effective group dynamic skills and
- Provide team development, group staff
- Utilize effective communication structures and systems.
- Establish CQI work environment. FINANCIAL & PHYSICAL RESOURCE
- Work with the Administrator to develop departmental budget for
LTC and analyze the operational performance of the department using
a financial/statistical database and to take action to reduce
waste/cost, adhere to department budget, improve patient care, meet
- To plan for and/or organize, acquire and maintain the supplies,
equipment, space and other physical resources of the department to
reduce waste/cost, achieve budget, improve patient care, meet
hospital goals. SAFETY OF PATIENT, EMPLOYEE AND PUBLIC For
department compliance with infection control, risk management,
quality control, emergency preparedness, equipment management and
government regulation for the protection of and response to
patient/public and occupational safety.
- Assist staff with incident, accident and error forms, as
necessary. Complete Incident follow-up form. Analyze reason for all
incidents and errors, discuss with personnel involved.
- Supervise professional staff in documenting medications and
nursing care on medical records. Assure that nursing documentation
on medical records is complete.
- Work with staff to develop plans of care and Standards of Care
for patients. Discuss care of specific patients or problems during
IDT meetings. TEAMWORK/CQI MANAGEMENT PHILOSOPHY By being an
effective team leader of the department using customer/supplier
systems view, CQI philosophy and methods, interpersonal and group
skills. Continually assess and improve department performance, by
being an effective team member of LTC management using
customer/supplier systems view, CQI philosophy and methods,
interpersonal and group skills.
- Maintain positive working relationships.
- Customer/supplier-oriented approach - internal and
- Use effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient/physician/employee/LTC
- Participate in LTC teams/activities.
- Facilitate leadership and membership roles.
- Maintain positive attitude, image, work environment.
- Use good judgement/styles of decision making.
- Be a willing resource to others for area of expertise/sharing
- Be a role model with leadership, people skills.
- Participate in LTC/community activities.
- Use CQI principles, methods, tools, philosophy in
- Be an effective (LTC) team member, department team
leader/facilitator. SECONDARY FUNCTIONS
- Plans and directs orientation and in-service programs for
professional and non-professional staff.
- Recommends purchase of capital equipment items.
- Prepares work schedule for licensed staff and assures adequate
staffing of non-licensed staff.
- Keeps LTCC Administrator informed of all matters of importance
regarding the LTCC.
- Serves on designated committees such as Quality Assurance and
other as needed.
- Participates in community educational health programs, as
- Assumes responsibilities of the Administrator in his/her
- Attends Resident Council meetings, Department Head meetings and
other meetings as requested.
- May be requested to perform other duties and
Keywords: West Park Hospital-WY-US, Greeley , DIRECTOR OF NURSING-LTCC, Healthcare , Cody, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!