Assistant City Attorney
Company: City Of Greeley
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The City of Greeley is seeking an Attorney II to provide expert
assistance and legal advice in support of the City Council, City
Manager, and other City departments. This position is one of nine
attorneys in the City Attorneys Office. Responsibilities will
include general municipal law, such as representing the City in
civil litigation, contract drafting and negotiations, agency
advice, administrative law, real property transfers, and land
Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
- Graduation from an accredited law school.
- 3 years progressively responsible experience practicing
- Experience in civil litigation and/or criminal
- Admission to practice before the courts of the State of
Colorado. (If not currently admitted to Colorado Bar, must comply
within one month of hire.)
- Government practice experience, including: statute or ordinance
drafting, investigating civil claims and preparing civil litigation
documents, and providing legal advice and representation on a broad
range of government issues and services.
- Equivalent private sector legal experience may be substituted
for public sector experience.
- Preferred candidate will have experience advising municipal
clients in the areas of administrative law, bankruptcy,
collections, litigation, and employment law, including extensive
knowledge of state and/or federal regulatory issues that may apply
in these areas.
- Excellent research, writing, academic, and oral and written
- Knowledge of the organization, functions, and goals of
- Extensive knowledge of the provisions of Colorado law and the
Greeley Municipal Code and City Charter.
- Skill in drafting and negotiating complex contracts and
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to investigate claims and complaints against Greeley
and to recommend and initiate appropriate action.
- Ability to prepare cases for hearings, trials, and other
administrative and judicial proceedings, and to represent the City
of Greeley in such proceedings.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships at all levels.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to anticipate problems and to deal with them in a
- Ability to build and develop trusting relationships with
colleagues, clients, City Attorney staff, and others.
- Ability to work in a cooperative and open fashion with other
city staff, outside attorneys, consultants, vendors, and the
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or
- Ability to write speeches and articles using original or
innovative techniques or style.
- Ability to maintain open, honest communication with others, to
remain calm and rational in heated situations, and to respond and
communicate clearly, accurately, and appropriately.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work
- Ability to attend meetings and perform work assignments at
times other than normal business hours.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive oral presentations on
controversial or complex topics to elected officials, members of
the public, and City management.
- Ability to apply principles of logic and scientific thinking to
a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Ability to deal with nonverbal information (e.g. formulas,
scientific equations, graphs).
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete
- This is primarily a sedentary position with business conducted
in either an office or courtroom setting.
- Public contact, sometimes in confrontational situations.
- Office environment with travel to and appearance in court
courts, administrative tribunals, and other formal
- Busy office activity with frequent inflexible deadlines.
- Vision or ability to interpret written documents.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods in courtroom and
by means of note-taking or mental capacity, be able to recall
information presented in courts to be able to assert the Citys
- Effective communication skills to convey information to the
court, public, and other City employees in person, by telephone,
and by email or other electronic communication.
- Ability to operate a personal computer with legal research,
word-processing, email, and case management software.
Keywords: City Of Greeley, Greeley , Assistant City Attorney, Other , greeley, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!