Breeding Head of Department
Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Breeding Head of Department
Other - Ask for details
The Sow Farm HOD directs the daily operation of the farm breeding
or farrowing department. Responsibilities include, but are not
limited to, scheduling and assigning tasks to meet production
goals, staff development/training, animal and human health and
welfare. The Sow Farm HOD knows and performs all department
functions/tasks personally and through subordinates. The Head of
Department position will also provide for the care of all animals
at the designated work site, particularly their health, growth, and
- Abides by all company policies,
procedures and guidelines as directed by farm leadership.
- Ensures the day-to-day activities and processes are
scheduled/performed according to standard procedures/policies in
company technical manuals and relevant company documentation.
- Trains and monitors subordinate performance and provides
- Maintains equipment and environment in all section barns, at
all times. Identifies all inconsistencies and immediately rectifies
- Manages, monitors and controls feed inventory at all times to
satisfy animal requirements and to minimize waste. Manages
day-to-day inventory procedures for the section and practices
standard inventory control initiatives.
- Maintains accurate production information and update all
department records as required.
- Treats sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by
injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
- Follows the Standard Operating Procedures, Production Manuals,
or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Follows the Company's animal welfare policies and procedures
including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal's
needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed,
providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification
and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and
following the guidelines for euthanasia to include proper disposal
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and
procedures and report any issues immediately to the
- Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the
job and ensuring their employee's compliance with the safety
requirements.The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned
to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- 2 years' direct experience in handling livestock and managing
animal welfare required.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Ability to obtain certification in department
- Ability to do hard physical labor.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized
- Must be able to work an average 48 hour week, which can vary
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must be on call to work in emergency situations to include but
not limited to, power outages or personnel shortages.
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the
following tasks: euthanasia, castration, vaccinations, piglet
processing, ear tagging for identification, taking blood samples
and other procedures normal to animal husbandry.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
Provides leadership and guidance to personnel within their
department with Manager oversight
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and
ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or
feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
talk or hear.
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust,
odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of
antibiotics (i.e. penicillin).
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our
culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job related characteristic as
directed by law.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Greeley , Breeding Head of Department, Other , Yuma, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!